At the new veteran’s agency your boss wants you to put together a presentation on life skills to promote client knowledge, skills and attitudes that contribute to positive change in substance abuse behavior. This presentation will be given at a group meeting he is planning for the agency to promote individual counseling for clients with substance abuse disorders.
Organize your presentation notes covering the following:
- 3-4 substance abuse behaviors you will address
- 3-4 basic life skills that substance abusers may find helpful
- 3-4 concepts regarding knowledge, skills and attitudes that will contribute to positive change (3-4 total not per category)
At the end of the presentation, there will be a Q&A with the clients as a way to get the clients to interact with your presentation so they think about what you have to offer them.
The following are sample questions that you could ask of the clients. Prepare two more questions and write 2-3 sentences of the responses you anticipate for each of the four questions.
- What behaviors have worked positively for you in the past?
- What behaviors have worked negatively for you in the past?