Imagine that you are the VP of Human Resources of a large professional service company with 5,000 employees across five countries. Your current HR system is outdated, and the original vendor is no longer in business. Thus, there is no method of an upgrade, and a complete replacement is required. Your options are either buying and implementing an existing system but heavy customization would be required, OR you can work with your IT department to build this internally.
- Would you buy an existing product or would you build your system? Why? Come up with at least three reasons to support your view. Note, if this question is too difficult, then imagine that you are you are renovating your kitchen, and you have the choice of hiring a contractor (buy) or renovate the kitchen yourself (build).
- Regardless of your choice, what are three advantages and three disadvantages of buying?
- Regardless of your choice, what are three advantages and three disadvantages of building?
- Would you use a request for information (RFI), request for quotation (RFQ) and request for proposal (RFP)? Explain.
- Assuming you are have decided to buy, what are the three to five criteria you would use to evaluate the vendors? Describe the criteria.