The development of attachment is a process that children go through, which families and early care educators can have a positive impact on. Chapter 2 of the text and Nancy Balaban’s article, “Easing the Separation Process for Infants, Toddlers, and Families” explain the four types of attachment:
- Secure attachment
- Insecure/avoidant attachment
- Insecure/resistant/ambivalent attachment
- Disoriented/disorganized attachment.
Select one of the four attachment styles above. Imagine that a child in your program is exhibiting attachment issues in this type of attachment. For this discussion, explain how you might communicate with parents to help foster a positive attachment in the early care and education program. Your response should address the following:
- Characteristics of this type of attachment to inform parents
- Shared communication plan to engage parents
- Suggestions that you would offer to foster a positive attachment in the classroom
Include your choice of attachment type in the Subject line of your
discussion post. Be sure your discussion post also includes a reference
to the textbook to support your ideas.