Dobbs, R. (2010) Chapters 6 and 7
Harvard Business Review (2013) The Customer-Centered Innovation Map, pps 43-57
HBR Innovation Handbook (2005) Execute Iteratively pps 47-74
Pink, D. (2013) Chapter 4
Innovative Case Assignment Materials
Critical Assignment Overview
You are developing a comprehensive Organizational Leadership Innovation Plan. Identify and select a specific organization that you are currently employed or affiliated with (if not currently employed can select a previous employer or affiliation.) TIP: YOU MUST BE INTIMITALY FAMILIAR WITH THIS ORGANIZATION AND IT MUST BE REAL, SELECTING YOUR EMPLOYER IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. This will become your “chosen” organization and the context for your ENTIRE project. -You cannot change organizations mid-course, choose wisely.
Your plan will thoroughly examine three facets:
(1) An overview of your chosen organization, and personal leadership examination, including examination of conflict styles.
(2) Assessment and Plan for leveraging the organization’s human capital, diversity and inclusion.
(3) Strategic Assessment, Change plan, and Ethical Evaluation: assessing the organization’s strategy, identifying and recommending an innovative change (to address a gap, need, or issue) that currently exists in your organization in order to make the organization more strategic and sustainable.
You will be tasked with utilizing the skill sets you have acquired from the courses you have completed in this program as well as the subsequent learning that comes from synthesizing the concepts and experience applying the concepts in real-life. Theories covered in the following courses should be applied in the analysis:
Foundations of Organizational Leadership
Conflict Resolution and Negotiations
Leadership Across Cultures
Leading Organizational Change
Practical Financial Management
Managing Human Capital
Legal, Ethical, and Public Policy Issues
Draft 1 Assignment Requirements:
Write a plan that includes each of the following components:
- My Organization & Personal Leadership Examination
- Organization Overview: Identify and select a specific organization that you are currently employed or affiliated with (if not currently employed can select a previous employer or affiliation). Include description of the industry, history or founding background. Provide an overview of the organization’s financial health. Examine what is this organization’s standing within their industry (are they a leader, are they a new-comer, an underdog).
- Personal Leadership Philosophy: Articulate what is your personal leadership philosophy- identify the top two leadership theories that most resonate with you and that you strive to exemplify. Discuss how it’s an appropriate match for your organizational role you are in. Discuss if there’s any challenges in applying this style at this organization and/or in your role, are there any discrepancies or modifications that you have to make in order to be effective in this style within your workplace culture.
- Future Leadership Vision: Discuss at least two potential components/facets of leadership that you would like to focus on further developing in order to be better prepared for your future leadership aspirations. Examine how your personal values, beliefs, and faith shape your motivations for your leadership aspirations.
- Personal Conflict Style: Identify which conflict style you strive to apply to most situations. Examine if this style is appropriate within your organization given the organizational culture. Evaluate how effectively you perceive yourself to currently exemplify this style. What are your current strengths in exemplifying this style? What are current opportunities for improvement?
While assignment requirements our detailed in outline form, your submission should be in comprehensive essay format. Be sure to consistently support your analysis and assertions. Paper must adhere to academic writing APA requirements. Don’t forget the title page and the reference list.