The police in America are the only governmentally sponsored entity with the authority and power to take the life of a citizen. Due to this tremendous power, scholars and community activists have, over the years, expounded on the need for tight regulation and control over police and their use of force against citizens. For this assignment, you will examine and analyze the various ways police use of force has been litigated and controlled. You will select one court case from the list below and examine the ways the court attempted to place constraints on the police use of physical force when confronting citizens. First, select one of the following cases:
- Tennessee v. Garner (1985)
- Graham v. Connor (1989)
- Johnson v. Glick (1973)
In your paper
- Provide details of the case selected.
- Describe the events and the players’ various roles.
- Describe the outcome.
- Provide an analysis of the long-term result or consequences of the outcome for police.
- Explain any operational policies or procedures that changed as a result of the case.
- Explain what the outcome means for ordinary citizens should they encounter officers during their daily routine.
This assignment needs to be APA Style,500 words and 3 to 6 references.