TOPIC: The United States has/lacks an effective anti-poverty safety net.
Chose one position (has OR lacks) and write an essay defending the statement above. This is asking you to state and defend a position or opinion, but your views should be well supported by evidence from the class and readings.
- Be sure to define what you mean by “effective”. I am not looking for a particular, technical/economic definition here. As the lectures discussed, there are multiple ways to judge safety net programs and I’m asking you to be clear about which way(s) you are using for the essay.
- Describe and explain the various parts of the safety net. Be clear about which programs you include in your consideration of the “safety net.”
- Use evidence and statistics from our readings on the level of poverty and trends in poverty and safety net programs over time to defend your position.
- Include at least one argument from the opposing side and refute it. For example, if you take the position that the safety net is not effective, present an argument in favor of its effectiveness and then refute it.
- In the conclusion, if you are arguing the safety net is effective, suggest one change that could make it even better. If you are arguing that it is not effective, suggest the FIRST policy change you would make to improve it.
Be sure to think about the organization of your memo, use sub-headings when helpful, and think about the structure of individual paragraphs. Your memo should have an introduction and conclusion. Proofread carefully.
As always, include the total word count (not counting footnotes/citations) at the bottom of your memo. Convert the memo into pdf format before uploading to Canvas. Plagiarism will be reported to Student Judicial Affairs and will result in a grade of zero.