This written assignment focuses on identifying similarities and differences between the state and federal court systems related to criminal cases.
Research your state court system (the state you currently reside in). ***Most states have a state court website.
Review and study the information regarding the different levels of courts in your state (trial court, appellate, etc.) for criminal cases. Compare your state court structure with the federal court system related to criminal cases.
Write a 2-3 page paper that addresses the following points related to criminal cases only:
- What is the name of the highest court in your state? (supreme court, appellate court?)
- How many justices (judges) sit on the highest court in your state?
- Are they elected or appointed to their positions?
- What is the name of the Chief Judge/Chief Justice of the highest court in your state?
- Where (what city) is the highest court in your state located?
- Identify, discuss and explain two (2) similarities and two (2) differences between your state court system and the federal court system regarding criminal cases. For example, what are the similarities or differences in how criminal cases are charged, prosecuted, or appealed?
All papers should be submitted in APA format. Include proper in-text citation and a reference page. Be sure to proofread your paper for spelling and grammar errors.
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.docx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below: