Please read page # 277 – 283 from chapter 13, “Crafting a Deployment Strategy” from the attached book and briefly explain the following questions.
- What factors do you think enabled Sega to break Nintendo’s near monopoly of the U.S. video game console market in the late 1980s?
- Why did Nintendo choose to not make its video game consoles backward compatible? What were the advantages and disadvantages of this strategy?
- What strengths and weaknesses did Sony have when it entered the video game market in 1995?
- What strengths and weaknesses did Microsoft have when it entered the video game market in 2001?
- Comparing the deployment strategies used by the firms in each of the generations, can you identify any timing, licensing, pricing, marketing, or distribution strategies that appear to have influenced firms’ success and failure in the video game industry?