Write a 3- to 4-page paper that addresses the following questions:
- What is your personal assessment of you own cultural competence (as an educator or educational leader)?
- Describe at least 2 strategies that will enhance your own cultural competence (as an educator or educational leader).
- As a current, or future, educator or educational leader why is an understanding of diverse student learners and cultural competence important?
- How does your understanding impact students?
- How does your understanding impact your colleagues?
Your paper should be 3 – 4 pages.
Respond to all portions of the assignment prompt.
Provide an introductory and concluding paragraph for the paper.
Reference at least 2 – 3 background readings from the module.
Cite all references using APA format.
Provide a reference list in APA format.
Part III: Opening the Doors of Possibility: Strategies for Closing Achievement Gaps (p. 205 – 269)
Murphy, J. (2010). The Educator’s Handbook for Understanding and Closing Achievement Gaps. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Corwin.
Chapter 4: Creating Inclusive Learning Communities (p. 79 – 103)
Chapter 5: Supporting Change in Course Design (p. 104 – 128)
D’Andrea, V., Gosling, D., & Society for Research into Higher, E. (2005). Improving Teaching and Learning: A Whole Institution Approach. Maidenhead, England: McGraw-Hill Education.
Chapter 9: Cultural Competence: Gauging and Achieving Impact
Nichols, E. J. (2013). Cultural Competence in America’s Schools : Leadership, Engagement and Understanding. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.
Chapter 4: Meeting the Needs of Adult Learners
Peart, S. (2014). Equality and Diversity in Further Education. Nortwich: Critical Publishing.
Chapter 7: Influences of Diverse University Contexts on Students’ Ethnic Identity
Ortiz, A. M., & Santos, S. J. (2009). Ethnicity in College : Advancing Theory and Improving Diversity Practices on Campus. Sterling, Va: Stylus Publishing.
Chapter 17: Achieving Cultural Competence as a Practitioner, Student, or Faculty Member
Cooper, D. L., Howard-Hamilton, M. F., & Cuyjet, M. J. (2011). Multiculturalism on Campus: Theory, Models, and Practices for Understanding Diversity and Creating Inclusion. Sterling, Va: Stylus Publishing.